Europen Health Insurance Card

Travel Insurance Information
Travel Insurance Direct

European Health Insurance Card

EHIC (formerly E111)


Reciprocal Health Care Agreement in Europe


All UK residents are entitled to reduced cost or free medical treatment when temporarily visiting a European Union (EU) country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.


To obtain this treatment you will need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card free of charge.


You would only be covered for treatment provided under the state scheme at home.

The government stresses that the European Health Insurance Card should not be a replacement for travel insurance and it is highly recommended that travellers cover themselves for unexpected costs, including medical emergency repatriation.




Apply for your European Health Insurance Card Now!


Important: The European Health Insurance Card is free.
You may see some websites charging for this service. Such fees are not required.

The EEA consists of the European Union (EU) countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland applies the EHIC arrangements through an agreement with the EU. The EHIC is valid in:

Cyprus (but not Northern Cyprus) 
Czech Republic


Applying for a European Health Insurance Card


You can apply for an EHIC for your spouse/partner and any children up to the age of 16 (or 19 if they are in full-time education) at the same time as applying for your own. If you are a foster parent or guardian (including boarding school teaching staff), you can apply on behalf of any children you are looking after. You must be over 16 to apply as a main applicant.

To apply, visit your local post office for a form or apply on line here: